The Kenosha Bowmen club was formed on July 3rd
, 1949 by the four founding fathers Dick Brennan, Roger Brennan, Lenny Vaccarella and Ed Pobar. Together with twenty-four others on that day the first club meeting with Mr. Ed Pobar serving as the club’s first President.
Dues were set at $2.00 per year along with a $6.00 shooting fee.
In 1950 the club leased its first property just north of the Pike River between county roads KR and A. Ed Pobar engineered a shooting range consisting of fourteen targets, shooting distances were taken from the National Field Archery Handbook. Additional property was leased in 1953 and developed into a second shooting range.
The club moved to several other locations during its early years until finally purchasing 25 acres at the current location in 1969. Within two years they were able to develop two 14-target ranges that could be used for field or broadhead shoots. In 1972 the club built a 20’ x 52’ building that included a kitchen, bar and meeting area. This building currently houses the club’s maintenance equipment and tractors along with the 3D targets and a target assembly room.
Between 1979 and 1983 the club purchased an additional 17 acres of adjoining property bringing its total to 42 acres.
In 1985 the club began to build the current clubhouse. A 60’ x 120’ building was designed to include a 24 lane indoor shooting range, meeting room, kitchen and bar along with indoor restrooms.
The club property is laid out to accommodate four outdoor ranges each with 14 targets. Three of the four ranges are setup to shoot either field or broadhead targets. There are two large practice target areas, a wooded picnic area and campsites for the members.
The Kenosha Bowmen are members of the NFAA (National Field Archery Association) the WAA (Wisconsin Archery Alliance), the KMFAL (Kettle Moraine Field Archery League), WBH (Wisconsin Bowhunters Association) and the LBL (Lakeshore Bowhunters League).
The current club membership consists of 100 plus members not including family members and continues to grow each year.
From our Constitution
Kenosha Bowmen Inc. was founded "to foster, expand and perpetuate the practice of field archery and the spirit of good fellowship among all archers, to encourage the use of bow and arrow in hunting of all legal game birds, fish, and animals, and to cooperate with the Wisconsin Field Archery Association (WFAA) and the Wisconsin Bow Hunters Association (WBH) in securing the best hunting conditions and privileges for all bow hunters. To cooperate with the Wisconsin Conservation agencies for the propagation and conservation of all game, and to maintain field courses and an indoor range to conduct archery games and tournaments."
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
All our members are constitutionally required to be a member of the WBH. Together with our membership as a club, this qualifies Kenosha Bowmen for 101% membership status in the organization. Wisconsin Bowhunters Association